Wow, the colours in this months Scrapbooking Top 50 Australia Challenge are beautiful. Normally I am a traditional type of girl when it comes to Christmas colours and layouts but this mood board inspired me to have a bit of fun with my colours.
I loved the colours in thong photo and how it made me think of the fun I have on our Australian summer Christmas holidays with family, blue skies and relaxing at the beach. The love heart in the leaf also reminded me of the love I have for my family and spending time together outside in our beautiful summer.
|Scrapbooking Top 50 Australia December Challenge.|
Items I used include:
- Water colour 12" x 12" paper
- Watercolour paints
- Small spray bottle/mister for water.
- Dylusion Ink spray 'Bubblegum Pink'
- Tattered Angel Glimmer mist 'Glacier'
- Royal Coat Dimensional Magic.
- Kaisercraft wood holly flourish
- 'Selfie' from Funky Flair.
- 'Tis the season' cut from a sheet of 61/2"x 61/2"paper from Kaisercraft 'Yuletide' collection
- Clear Xmas tree stamp
- Stampendous Cling Vintage contract.
- StazOn Black Ink pad
- Purple netting from my recycle stash
- Cheese cloth
- White Drawing ink by Educational Colours Australia
- Blue and green cardstock for backing photo
- Cardboard and magic mount to mount flair and photo.
- Prima wire thread 'white'
- I sprayed the paper with water and began to add the watercolours using plenty of water, when I got puddles I moved the paper around to spread it or used a wet-one to absorb some of the excess.
- I find this difficult at times but take the time to let each layer of watercolours dry between each colour application or you end up with mud. My last layer comprised of a light spraying of water and then splatters of yellow over the other colours.
- While the layers dried I stamped the Christmas tree stamp onto watercolour paper, cut them out and watercoloured them as well. Also cut out the 'Tis the season' tag from it's page and edged it with StazOn.
- When trees were dry I sprayed Glimmer mist over them for a sheen of sparkles.
- I used purple watercolour to colour the wood flourish and then when dry added dimensional magic and set aside to dry, this took around a hour to dry. And then lightly splattered some of the purple onto my page and then some splatters of green and blue (of course waiting for each to dry before the next addition of colour).
- Trimmed the photo and backed it with green and blue cardstock, I edged each layer including photo with StazOn.
- Then glued some cardboard onto the back ready to be glued onto the page later.
- I cut 4 pieces of cheesecloth, gave them a distressed look by pulling at the threads on the edges and middle and then edged the pieces with 'bubblegum pink' Dylusions ink spray and/or purple watercolours. Later I found I needed some small pieces to add to gaps I needed to fill.
- While every thing was drying I cut a piece of netting and distressed the edges and began to play around with positioning and ideas of placement.
- When I was happy with the placement of everything I used StazOn ink to stamp small areas with the Vintage contract stamp.
- Now it was time to put it together, I played around quite a bit until I was happy with the placement. When I was happy I took a photo with my phone so that when I moved it off to glue each layer down I could re-position each element.
- I made circles of wire thread to frame and draw attention to our faces and used some of the threads I'd pulled off the cheesecloth to frame the tag.
- To finish off I covered the photo with a scrap piece of card and splattered white drawing ink with a feather brush over the page.
Here are some close ups:
Thanks for popping over to see my latest layout, I had a great time creating this layout and I hope I've inspired you to experiment with some new techniques, use watercolour paints or some thing as simple as stepping out of using traditional Christmas colours as I did. Pop over to Scapbooking Top 50 Australia and see some other inspirational creations and maybe take on the challenge yourself and enter your own masterpiece in their December and future challenges.